Sunday, January 6, 2013

Empty Bulletin Boards...

Before Christmas, I had awesomeness on the walls EVERYWHERE! Our little Christmas tree was full of crafty ornaments, the walls were covered, and I literally could not find more space to hang anything else up. This little cutie was my favorite activity:
 
All of it had to come down. We have only been back to school 2 days, but here is what we have going on so far:
2013-01-06_18-04-00_652.jpg
This is our Fry word station. Students write as many Fry words they can on a die cut and pin it to the board. It's quick and easy practice with words.
 
2013-01-06_18-03-52_198.jpg
Here we made shape snowflakes out of coffee filters. This fit perfect with out wintry theme and was a lot of fun.
 
palm tree.jpg
 
Here is a very non-wintry (is that even a word??) board. This coconut tree is being used to track progress for Star Early Literacy scores. Basically, they want to get to the top of the coconut tree like in the story. And they have made awesome progress. I think it helps for them to see where they are compared to others, but they have been given a number so no student knows where another one is on the board.
 
This week we are starting on "There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow". I'm super excited about this craftivity and the sequencing involved.
And I know my kids will get excited over this story because I have the old lady puppet that I bring out each time I read one of these stories (hmmm....I really need to take a picture of her). She's actually about to fall apart and I need to bring her home and sew some things. But the kids think it is hilarious when I sit her in my rocking chair while they are working. It's the little things. :)
I'd love to hear about the wintry units you are doing this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I {puffy heart} love reading your comments!